Frequently Asked Questions:

How are children with SEN identified?

Initial identification may be made through:

  • Liaison with Pre-School settings or previous schools;
  • Assessment data showing the child is performing significantly below age-related expectations, or is failing to progress;
  • Concerns raised by parents / carers;
  • Concerns raised by teachers or other adults working in school;
  • Liaison with outside agencies.

Following concerns being raised, the class teacher will review the available evidence, consult with parents / carers and the child, carry out further assessments as necessary and liaise with the SENco.

A decision will then be made as to whether an Individual Education Plan or a One Page Profile is needed.

What should I do if I feel my child has SEN?

In the first instance you should discuss your concerns with the child’s class teacher. Following that, if you have further questions you could contact the SENco.

Cambridgeshire County Council’s SEND Local Offer provides further information and has details of agencies that offer advice and support to parents of children with SEN.

How are children with SEN supported?

Children are supported in a variety of ways according to their needs:

  • Appropriately differentiated tasks;
  • Adult support in class;
  • Individual or group intervention programmes;
  • Regular monitoring of progress;
  • Delivery of Speech and Language programmes by trained TAs;
  • Delivery of Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy programmes following recommendations by health professionals;
  • Access to pastoral care and social support.

What outside agencies may be involved in my child’s support?

The following agencies may be consulted regarding children with SEN:

  • School Health, via the Community Paediatrician (School Doctor)
  • Speech and Language Therapy (S&LT)
  • Occupational Therapy (OT)
  • Educational Psychology (EP)
  • Specialist Teaching Team (STT)
  • Early years Specialist Teaching Team (EYSTT)
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

In addition Family Worker (FW) support may be accessible through the area Locality Team. 
Find out more here.

For further information about all agencies supporting children with SEN please see Cambridgeshire County Council’s SEND Local Offer. 

In all instances, initial consultation with outside agencies will be discussed and agreed with parents / carers.

For further information, please see the our Policy for Children with Special Educational Needs.

For details of organisations providing support, see below: